Friday, February 27, 2015

Spotlight: "New Mommie"- *Niki*

Three months into motherhood, and 26 year old Service Teller Manager Niki S., gives her two cents to YWM on how her life has changed since becoming a Mommie. It’s a difficult task, and getting through the first 6months can be challenging as these little creatures evolve every day. However, the toughest part of any working mom is having to return to work. Managing your time and your day around your child can be the biggest adjustment, and Niki can definitely attest to that. 

"I can't just run a few errands or up and go out at the last minute. Everything requires planning, and even then, I sometimes still can't get it right." Niki explains.

 "Getting it right" just doesn't exist anymore. Mommies have to learn and accept their "new norm." And that new norm just may mean getting up an hour and a half earlier to be on time, or settling with the fact that you will never be on time for anything else in life. (After three years I've regretfully settled for the latter lol). But when you have commitments outside the home, like many of us do, we can begin to feel very pressured; the pressures of being a good wife, mother, and employee and trying your hardest not to fall short in any of those areas

 "I think I may have underestimated the commitment level required [of motherhood], even when things get tough, and how consuming life would begin to be.”

“I have a new found respect for working moms. I don't know that I would've ever known how challenging it is for us working moms without becoming one myself, which tells me how much working moms are underestimated by coworkers and those without children in general. I think there is always a concern of a mom not returning to work after maternity leave or always having to call out because of a sick baby; but I was lucky enough to have a supportive management team who's really made me feel welcomed when I returned, while still showing care and compassion when it came to my work schedule, my breast pumping needs, and my need to make my daughter my number one priority.”

Niki, whom is originally from Chicago, relocated to Virginia to attend college (the REAL HU, that is). She decided to stay in Virginia after meeting and marrying her husband. Miles away from her family has proven to be quite difficult especially since welcoming their first child. “I realized how much I really missed my mom when she came to visit for Christmas - she fell in love with Gia right away! It's still a bit difficult because it's nothing like having your mom around to be a part of such an exciting time, like watching the little [one] grow and do all of her "firsts".

Though Niki’s family is not around, she and the little one are surrounded with plenty of love from her in-laws, to college friends, to Sorority Sisters. Niki and Gia are in great hands. And although this former “wine connoisseur” doesn’t divulge in her guilty pleasure as much, she wouldn’t trade anything in the world for her new life as a hardworking, breastfeeding mom. As challenging as it is, it is her daughter’s infections grin that motivates her to keep going… “it really does brighten up my day.”

Her advice to the New Working Mom: Don't underestimate the things you can do for your family and within your career once you become a mom. If you decide to breast feed, stick to it and surround yourself with people who supports your decision to do so because I had to learn that not everyone "gets it". I doubted my ability to breast feed because I thought I couldn't get past the pain and un comfort.  Once I overcame that obstacle, I doubted my ability to continue once I returned to work, but my daughter is now 3 months old and I don't have any plans on stopping anytime soon. After learning more and more benefits to breast feeding and receiving support from other moms who breast fed, I am more encouraged to sacrifice whatever I need to in order to give my daughter this special gift. 




 

 



1 comment: