Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Party's Over...Time To Go Back To Work :-(

When Maternity Leave is over, its time to face reality…. We must go back to work! Today was my first day back at the office and my daughters 7th week of life. To many working moms this seems too early to go back. I didn’t qualify for FMLA because I hadn’t been with the firm for a year, however by law, I was entitled to 6 weeks off after the birth of my child. My daughter was born March 5th and today, on April 23rd, I’m in the office.
Leaving her this morning was HARD; and yes I will admit I shed a few tears, perfectly normal! But as I go through the day I’ve thought of some helpful tips to consider when returning back to work, regardless of how much time you decide, or are allowed, to take off.

1.       Search for a sitter EARLY! Between the unfavorable daycare visit and other prospect sitters falling through, I ended up calling a friend who agreed to watch Dreux my first week back at work. As of now Dreux still doesn’t have a permanent sitter or daycare. We are taking it one week at a time. Find something early, so it’s one less thing on your mind at work.
2.       Determine when you will return to work and have a plan! Going back to work after being off for weeks, or even months, can be very scary. Know:
a.       The date you plan to return to work. Make sure your day back from your leave of absence (LOA), falls within the allotted time you are entitled for maternity leave. Always check with HR about benefits, PTO, and other logistical items as it relates to LOA.
b.      Where the little one is going and what time you need to be out of the house to make it to work on time. Leaving at 7:45 to make the 7:50 bus won’t cut it anymore. Plan to be late so leave even earlier. Also plan to cry and not want to leave…I was a half an hour late my first day back, all because I just could leave out the door knowing it would be 8hrs before I saw that adorable face again.
c.       Who, if anyone, will be there that morning to assist with getting things in order. My mother spent the night with me the night before I went back to work. You can’t imagine how overwhelming going back to work and leaving the little one with someone can be. Just imagine how quickly you get dressed those mornings you’re running late and opt to put your makeup on in the car. Multiply that anxiety by 100. You have added about 10+ additional tasks to your morning routine. Aside from showering, getting dressed and other personal hygienic tasks of your own, now you have an extra person to dress, change, feed, and get to the sitter (or daycare) before your 7:30am train arrives. If someone can be there your first day back, it’s a blessing!
d.      How you plan to transition back into work. My job has what they call an alternate work agreement where new moms have the choice of selected a work schedule that will be conducive to their new lives as mothers. All companies aren’t the same but check with HR to see if your company has similar programs.
3.       If you are breastfeeding:
a.        Invest in a good Breast Pump! It makes things A LOT easier and it’s really convenient. You can find manual pumps, semi-manual, and electric. I have an electric pump by Medela. THE BEST CREATION. It was a little pricey, $300. Lucky for me mine was a gift, so add it to the registry and pray someone is generous enough to get it for you. It’s worth every cent, especially for working mommies. It comes in a discrete backpack so no one will ever no its really your breast pump! J
b.      Pump weeks in advance. About two weeks prior to returning to work, I began pumping and freezing. Medela also has storage bags that you can pump directly into which makes pumping, storing, and organizing much easier.
c.       Inquire about any nursing or private rooms your job or office may have. My office has a private room that I had to request access too which allows nursing moms a comfortable and private space to pump. If your office or job does not have a room of this sort, speak with someone at your job who could give alternative suggestions. Such as an old office or a small conference room. This is probably one of the biggest concerns with working moms- where and how often to pump at work. If worse comes to worse take your lunch out to your car, bring a blanket and pump in the car! Mommies have to do what they have to do for the health of their little ones! J

No comments:

Post a Comment