Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Busy Season Baby Blues

If you know anything about the accounting profession, you have probably heard the horror stories of "busy season"; early mornings, late nights, and endless "ticking and tying". Oh the joys! If you haven't heard about busy season, let me explain. Every year between about Janurary and March, us audit professionals dedicate out lives, and yes OUR LIVES, to our clients. Let me paint the picture. We sit in a luxurious room at the client's office, normally the size of a janitors closet, or a small inoperable conference room. This closet is our new home for at least the next 10-12weeks. If you value personal space or privacy...ya won't find it here. But its not all bad...if you're into working 13hrs a day, giving up your weekends to head to the office, and eating from the same takeout restuarant every night. But then again, remember its only for 3months....


At the beginning of January, I was entering my first busy season as an audit associate....I was also entering my thrid trimester of pregnancy. Wonderful cocktail for insanity! Coupled with hormomal imbalances, food cravings and aversions, and exhaustion...the last thing I wanted to do was sit in an uncomfortable chair for 13hrs reviewing excel workbooks and interviewing clients who don't seem to want you there anyway.

Tears, prayers, and hours of venting sessions with my boyfriend, and Dreux's father, I made it through! What I learned from this experience was how much strength I would have never known existed. All things work for good, and I look at this trying time as preparation for motherhood. Busy Season may last 3months, but motherhood lasts forever :-) If I can get through my first busy season while 9months pregnant, I feel I can conquer the WORLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment